The Senate convened at 11:30am for a pro forma session. Senator Leahy presided. The 117th Congress adjourned sine die.
The 118th Congress convened at 12:00pm. Vice President Harris presided.
The Vice President laid before the Senate the certificates of election.
The Vice President administered the oath of office to newly elected and re-elected Senators.
The Senate held a live quorum.
The Majority Leader was recognized to offered the following resolutions:
- Informing the President of the United States that a quorum of each house is assembled,
- Informing the House of Representatives that a quorum of the Senate is assembled,
- Electing Patty Murray as President Pro Tempore of the United States Senate,
- Notifying the President of the election of a President Pro Tempore,
- Notifying the House of Representatives of the election of a President Pro Tempore,
- Fixing the hour of daily meeting of the Senate.
After leader remarks it is expected the Senate will go into a period of morning business for Senators to speak. The re-enactment of the swearing in with the Vice President will occur in the Old Senate Chamber. No votes are expected during today’s session of the Senate. Once the Senate adjourns there will be pro forma sessions until January 23, 2023. This will be the first day bills can be filed and legislative business will be conducted.
The Senate will convene for pro forma sessions with no business conducted on the following dates and times:
Friday, January 6 at 1:05pm
Tuesday, January 10 at 10:00am
Friday, January 13 at 1:30pm
Tuesday, January 17 at 1:00pm
Friday, January 20 at 1:00pm
The Senate will next convene on Monday, January 23, 2023 at 3:00pm.
At 5:30pm the Senate will proceed to a roll call vote on confirmation of PN1 Brendan Owens to be an Assistant Secretary of Defense.
The Senate recessed at 6:35pm.