- Publications not previously granted Congressional credentials should be aware that the initial credentialing review process may be lengthy and can take on average between 6 months to one year.
- New applicants must submit a Periodical Press Gallery application form for membership.
- The application must be completed in its entirety. Partially completed applications will not be accepted or reviewed.
- The application must have original signatures on both the “Applicant” line and the “Bureau Chief or Managing Editor” line.
- No faxed or photocopied application will be accepted.
- The application must be from the current Congress. The correct number will be located in the upper right hand corner of the application.
- New applicants must submit a letter of introduction on publication letterhead with a signature of the bureau chief or managing editor.
- The letter must include verification of full time employment, justification for the need of Congressional press credentials, guarantee that the applicant has read and will abide by the rules and a contact number for the signatory.
- No faxed or photocopied letter will be accepted.
- Include two recent copies of the publication.
- Upon acceptance into the Periodical Press Gallery, a $5.00 check or money order per reporter made payable to “Periodical Correspondent’s Association” must be submitted in order to complete the application. Cash cannot be accepted.
Due to increased security, it is advised that applications be hand delivered to the Periodical Press Gallery. All mail sent to the Capitol will be significantly delayed by the security screening process. Independent courier service deliveries have been suspended and cannot be accepted.
To receive an application, call the House Periodical Press Gallery at 202-225-2941, or pick up an application in H-304 in the U.S. Capitol.
The House Periodical Press Gallery is currently in charge of credentialing members of the Periodical Press Galleries. Application paperwork must be submitted to:
House Periodical Press Gallery
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2941
Congressional Press accreditation for magazines, newsletters, non-daily newspapers, and on-line publications are handled through the Periodical Press Gallery. All reporters interested in obtaining a Congressional press pass should first read and review the rules and regulations of the Periodical Press Gallery. If you presume you and your publication qualify for credentials, please review the relevant instructions for your situation (Renewing, New or Foreign applicant) in order to complete the application process.